COVID-19 Info & Our safety measures
North Coast Trail Backpackers Hostel is committed to providing quality accommodation to all our guests in a safe, social, and fun environment. While the Covid-19 pandemic is still underway, we’ve made a lot of changes at our hostels to ensure our guests and staff are safe, while not compromising comfort and fun. Staying with us during COVID-19 may look and feel a little bit different than it used to (and will again one day soon), so here’s what you can expect when you stay with us for now.
Pre-arrival Screening & information
- We have put together a list of questions for guests to answer prior to arrival. We email these questions with our confirmation email - so make sure you keep an eye out for it. Please fill out the health screener that we ask everybody to complete before they travel to our hostel.
- Have you travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
- Are you originating from an area under a Provincial Health Order?
- Are you the subject of a provincial/territorial or local public health order? Note: A provincial/territorial or local public health order is typically a quarantine order issued to a person who has tested positive or is presumed positive to COVID-19
- Do you have any COVID-19 related symptoms?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions or are generally unwell, please cancel and rebook when appropriate. Thank you for helping keep our staff, guests and community safe and healthy.
- Please make sure you read the guest agreement that we send out with your confirmation email. Please read the agreement prior to your arrival. It contains important information about staying with us during COVID-19 as well as information about your stay. It will make your check-in process faster if you have read and signed the information ahead of your arrival.
- Please practice safe physical distancing during your stay. We ask that any individuals not travelling together maintain a two-meter distance from others or wear a facemask when using our communal areas (i.e. kitchen, dining room area, lounge area etc.), including staff, no matter where you are in the hostel.
- We have a Plexiglas barrier at the front desk
- We require all guests and staff to use a face masks where distancing isn’t possible. You can bring your own or purchase a facemask for a small fee at the front desk.
- All high-touch surfaces will be frequently disinfected, including payment terminals and keys.
- We’ll ask to collect or confirm your phone number and email address, to be used for contact tracing purposes if necessary.
- We may also ask you a few questions about symptoms and travel history. Guests experiencing Covid-19 symptoms will not be accommodated. We also cannot accommodate travelers who need to self-isolate, who are subject to mandatory quarantine requirements or those who have arrived in Canada within the previous 14 days.
- We also cannot accommodate guests who get sick during their stay with us. Guests who get sick will need to check out and leave to quarantine or self-isolate at their home address.
Your dorm room
- We are currently NOT offering any dorm style accommodation. We will reopen our dorms as soon as the PHO deems it safe again.
Your private room (including private dorms)
- Your bed will be made for you upon arrival. Rest assured that all bedding and towels are washed and sanitized at high temperatures between guests.
- Please put your flat sheet, fitted sheet, towel and pillow case in the white laundry bag that is provided in your room when it’s time to check-out and open the window in your room.
- There will be no housekeeping in private rooms during your stay.
- Rooms will be left vacant for three hours after guests check-out, to ensure the safety of our staff and arriving guests. Each room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.
- Single-use and decorative items have been removed from the room.
- All of our bathrooms are single occupancy.
- Please be mindful of other guests waiting to use the facilities - keep your distance and give everybody space.
- To maintain physical distancing we ask that only one group or single traveler use the kitchen at one time. Please limit your time in the kitchen so other guests can use the space also.
- Please wash your dishes, drinkware, cutlery and cookware using the sanitizing cycle in our under counter dishwasher.
- Capacity in our dining areas has been reduced to maintain two-meter distancing between individuals or those travelling together.
- We do not provide any shared goods at this point (i.e. you need to bring all your ingredients including salt, pepper, cooking oil, etc.) and also do not have any free food sections in our kitchen. Please do not leave any food behind.
- We will provide cleaning and sanitizing supplies in each kitchen for guests to use.
Around the hostel
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed in key areas of our hostels.
- Some furniture may have been moved or removed to facilitate physical distancing measures (which don’t apply to individuals travelling in a group - as long as you maintain a safe 2m distance between your group and other guests).
- Please be mindful of posted signage and staff instruction around the use of these spaces.
- These spaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Hostel games, such as ping pong and shuffleboard, aren’t available for now.
- The Provincial health authorities are now recommending to wear face masks where physical distancing is not possible. While staying at our hostel, all staff and guests are required to wear a facemask inside the building (i.e. whenever you are not in your room) - to protect you and others. You can bring your own mask or purchase one for a small fee at the front desk.
- We’re here for you! If ever you have any questions about how things work, we’re happy to help.
- Our complete team has undergone additional training to ensure we’re able to enforce the measures laid out above.
- We do a self-health assessment before each shift to ensure we are symptom-free.
- We will wear face masks, gloves and other PPE where necessary and appropriate.
- We are diligent in maintaining physical distance from all guests and wear facemasks where a 2m distance is not possible. While inside the hostel all staff will wear facemasks at all times.
Top of Form